GMSHRM 2012 Scholarship Program
The Greater Miami Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is Miami-Dade County’s largest organization serving human resource professionals. Established in 1952, GMSHRM is comprised of the area’s most distinguished human resource professionals. GMSHRM is dedicated to supporting its members and promoting human resource communications:
- Providing high quality, dynamic and responsive programs and services
- Serving as the area’s voice on human resource management issues
- Facilitating the development and guiding the direction of the profession
Committed to “Serving the Professional and Advancing the Profession” within the community, GMSHRM proudly sponsors the annual Greater Miami SHRM Student Scholarship Award.
The scholarship is to encourage undergraduate and graduate students preparing for work in the field of Human Resource Management. There is one award available. The winner will receive a $1,000.00 (made payable to the student). Judging is based on timely submission of all required documents and the written essay. The panel of judges is comprised of three GMSHRM members who will rank each essay and application materials. The judges’ scores are combined to determine the highest average ranking application form. The panel of judges reserves the right to reject any application that does not meet the requirements. All submissions must be made via email by October 31, 2011 at midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST). The winners will be notified by email and will be presented with the award at GMSHRM’s December meeting.
- An undergraduate student who has completed at least two years of study and is carrying a minimum of 9 semester credit hours and has a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA; or a graduate student who is carrying a minimum of 6 semester credit hours and a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Must Major in HR Management or related field. The student must also be a GMSHRM member and a national SHRM member during the current academic year
- Professional pursuing a certification in the Human Resources field at an accredited university. The professional must also be a GMSHRM member and a national SHRM member during the current academic year minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- One-page essay, which clearly explains why you have chosen human resources as your field of study and your future goals; or why you have chosen to pursue a career as an HR professional and how you feel the degree you are seeking will contribute to your professional goals
- The essay format must be single-spaced; font size 12pt.
- You may also include other information you feel will distinguish you as the best candidate for the scholarship
- Points will be deducted for misspellings and grammatical errors
- A letter of acceptance from the university for applicants who have just been accepted to a program
- Current Resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- Completed application
- 35% SHRM student chapter involvement and/or commitment to the HR profession
- 30% Academic achievement
- 25% Additional leadership and service activities/work experience
- 10% Financial need
Timeline - December 1, 2012: Deadline to submit all application materials.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted electronically via email attachment (PDF format) to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for a copy of the application form.
* Grade summary or unofficial transcript may also be submitted with application, but is not required. If selected for a scholarship, the student will be required to submit an official transcript and social security or tax ID at that time, prior to receiving funds.
Questions: Contact email@example.com
The Greater Miami SHRM chapter does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color,
gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, disability, age, veteran status, ancestry, national origin or citizenship in the administration of its scholarship program.