I-9 and E-Verify:Updates and Compliance Workshop
Glenn M. Rissman, Esq., Stearns Weaver Miller, will cover - Record-Keeping Concerns post Abercrombie, ICE Raids and recent developments, Who has to E-Verify (and who does not) and other Updates. Pending HR recertification credit approval
ICE is Knocking at Your Door – Get Your Recordkeeping House in Order
(Pending HR Certification Institute Approval of HR Recertification Credits)
Ripped From the Headlines:
“Chipotles Mexican Grill – Terminates 500 Employees After Surprise ICE I-9 Audit”
“Abercrombie & Fitch to Pay $1 Million after I-9 Compliance Audit”
“ICE – Has Launched a Series of I-9 Audits – Notifications Issued to 1000 Employers”
“Social Security Administration Resumes No-Match Letters”
Will your I-9 recordkeeping practices pass the ICE test?
Are you accepting the correct documentation? Should you E-Verify? What should you do if you receive an I-9 audit notice? What happens if the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency shows up at your company? What happens if you suspect that your company may be out of compliance?
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced recently that in 2010 they audited over 2746 worksites, arrested 196 employers, fined employers nearly $7 Million and deported 393,000 illegal workers after conducting I-9 on-site audits. This number is up significantly from 2008, when ICE only conducted 1100 worksite audits and fined employers $675,000.
Workshop Learning Objectives
This workshop will provide HR Professionals and Business owners with the opportunity to learn how to comply with ICE requirements and make sure that their employees can legally work in the United States. Attendees will get an overview of ICE-related topics: acceptable documentation, work authorization review, legal compliance, E-Verify, I-9 documentation, retention, maintenance and retrieval. We will also review the issues faced by Chipotles and Abercrombie.
Attendees will learn how to:
- Understand the legal requirement to prove that an employee is authorized to work in the United States
- Define the role of E-Verify – should employers use this system as another way to meet the ICE requirements? What happens if employers doesn’t use E-Verify and their employees' documentation is fraudulent?
- Create systems to track employees who have expiring documentation.
- Create policies that comply with ICE requirements as well as the maintenance of the I-9 documentation after an employee is hired.
- Audit their existing program to determine if all employees in their organization have appropriate documentation to continue working. We will answer: what should HR do if you suspect that the employees' documentation is not appropriate?
- Survive an ICE on-site audit. Attendees will learn what to do or not do if ICE shows up at their door. We will define the parameters of an audit and the employer's role in the process.
WHAT: I-9 and E-Verify:Updates & Compliance Workshop
WHEN: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, PLEASE NOTE NEW TIME: 3:00PM - 4:30PM
WHERE: Intercontinental Hotel West in Doral
COST: With advance registration: GMSHRM Member -Free; Non-member -$20.
Walk-ins or late registration: GMSHRM Member -$20; Non-member -$30.
PRESENTER: Glenn M. Rissman, Esq., from Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson, P.A.
Click here for Glenn Rissman bio
Membership has value. With advance registration, GMSHRM members can attend at no charge.
Seating is limited so be sure to register now for this workshop at the GMSHRM website- Note: Registration for the mini-workshop is separate to that for the Dinner Meeting.
Why not stay to network, attend The Career Management Summit - "Keeping the Competitive Edge" program and have dinner with your colleagues?